Sunday, August 2, 2009

A dance with the seasons, does not a seasoned dancer make!

Aloha one and all. Pronounced Moor-a is an Afrikaans good morning greeting. That is perhaps a bit better suited than Aloha, although I find my thoughts wandering back to that beautiful archipelago, isolated in the pacific and known for its nice warm climates nearly all year round. Nearly all this year I will be chasing winter. So far I have had a winter-spring-sum---cut off! back spin! winter--spring (to come)-- summer and once again my pursuit of sun light will be snatched from me. As a cosmopolitan kind of lady, I consider this to pose no problems, inhibit my life not-at-all because I know that in time I shall chase summer round the globe : )

A few words about Cape Town: As I walked into a mall accompanied by 8 or so of my international commrades I noticed that like America, movie ticket prices were high, concessions (the true source of income from movies, consult The Economist) were through the roof, and commercials played prior to previews offered that Standard Bank was the only bank to help the newly wed couple buy their first flat, to help Cindy-Loo Asian advertise for her small bussiness, to make all these dreams a reality.
Where have I heard that before?
Another commercial featured Japanese manufacture Toyota trucks driving around South Africa--kicking ass in wilderness locations and creating a community of same-truck driving adventure seeking harmless thrill-seekers. Country music played and eventually two South Africans halt their train to let a Toyota Truck cross the tracks.
One (black) says to the other (white): Do you reckon its safe here?
Culture fushion in the third degree!

I love mutton curry and the way they really tenderize meats here. Plus the Dutch, English influence gives rise to fine pastries and tea time.

More pictures to come.
Love, lethargy, and lozenges and canned legumes
from
Ms. Tabacco of Table Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment